RE: connecting bics datasource with another SQL/DB2 datasource
I have a use case for connecting a bex query data source (BICS) with data/table from a DB2 database and then use WEBI to report the combined data.
I was wondering what is the best way to achieve this and is there any recommendations.
i hear that universes does not work well with Bex queries (BICS connection).
Webi can naturally combine different data sources via the creation of the needed data providers and the dimension merge functionality. Proceed as follows:
1. Create your BEx query and the corresponding BICS OLAP connection
2. Create a relational universe over the DB2 database and the corresponding relational connection
On your webi document:
3. Add a data provider from BEx source
4. Add another data provider from the DB2 universe
5. Combine both providers merging the appropiate dimensions on the resulting microcubes (best practice: use primary/foreign keys instead of text fields).
6. Finally create your report using the merged dimensions
There are of course other alternatives but I think this would one of the easiest to implement.
( Kindly assign points in case you find this reply is “helpful” or the “correct” answer to your question — thanx ! )